The Merit Award Committee gives out several awards each year. The criteria and deadlines for each award are listed below.
Chili Cook Off Award
Each Chapter is allowed one entry. The winner is selected by ODNR personnel. There is also a people's choice award based on decibel levels!
The "Gibby Award": This honor is given to an individual or couple who has made an outstanding effort to improve the trail system on public lands. The nomination must be submitted to the Merit Award Chairperson by June 30 and must be signed by four (4) OHC members, each belonging to a different county. No more than one honoree will be selected each year. This award may be given upon the recommendation of the Merit Award Committee and approval by the OHC Executive Cabinet. The 1st full weekend of August each year will be known as the "Gibby Ride" to honor the recipient of this award. This ride is hosted by the State OHC who handles all the reservations.
The Lifetime Membership nominations must be submitted to the Merit Award Chairperson by September 30. The nomination must state the reasons this person is deserving of OHC's highest award, and also it must have signatures of four other OHC members (each from a different county) who endorse the nomination. Lifetime membership may be awarded upon the recommendation of the Merit Awards Committee by standard procedure for any Merit Award and approval of the Executive Council.
• Must be a member of the OHC in good standing for at least five (5) years.
• Must have rendered important service towards meeting the goals of OHC
• Must have held a position at State Level (officer, committee chair, or committee member for at least two(2) years.
Membership Awards are calculated per paid membership as follows:
1. County with the highest number of total memberships
2. County with the highest number of new memberships
3. County with the highest percentage of renewal memberships.
Counties receiving these honors will be announced at the November OHC State Meeting.
Any OHC member may make a nomination by simply naming and describing why they feel the person is deserving and then getting another member to endorse the nomination.
1. An OHC member who has put forth special efforts to promote the goals of OHC.
2. An outstanding accomplishment in a horse-related field by and outstanding OHC individual OHC adult member.
3. An outstanding accomplishment in a horse-related field by an OHC youth member.
4. A non-OHC member who has demonstrated interest in and put forth special efforts to promote the goals of OHC.
5. A business or organization (not associate member) that has supported OHC on State level.
6. An Associate group that has supported OHC activities and goals.
Nominations must be received by Merit Award Chairperson no later than September 30, and must be signed by two OHC members. Please state above category when the nomination is submitted. Awards will be presented at the November State Meeting, exception the Gibby Award.
Trail Mileage and Saddle Hour Awards
For more information about the list of awards, their definition, and how to report mileage and hours, click Trail Mileage and Saddle Hour Program.